The Design and Technology Department aims to inspire all students to design and make innovative products. Pupils have access to state of the art CAD (Computer Aided Design) software, a fully equipped workshop, a Laser Cutter and a 3D Printer. We encourage all pupils to take advantage of the facilities on offer and regularly work with woods, metals and plastics.
Design and Technology complements core subjects such as Mathematics and Science, as well as encouraging pupils to develop their creative thinking and problem solving skills which prepares pupils for possible careers in Design and Engineering.
During KS3 pupils also take part in Food Technology lessons, developing their knowledge of nutrition, food preparation and food hygiene.
Staff Names and Roles
- Mr M Hodgkinson – Teacher of Design and Technology
- Mrs M Simcox – Teacher of Design and Technology
- Mrs A Beech – Teacher of Food Technology
- Mr M Tew – Design & Technology Technician
Useful Websites to support your son’s learning
- BBC GCSE Bitesize Design & Technology
- Technology Student
- AQA GCSE course information
- NHS Diet
- Food for life
- BBC Food
Opportunities outside of lessons
- Lunchtime Design and Technology clubs are run throughout the year.
- Year 11 visit the Jaguar Land Rover manufacturing facility in Solihull. During this visit they are taken round the factory and shown what design and technology on an industrial scale looks like, watching one of the world’s largest car manufacturers build and assemble their flagship models.