The English Department at Aston aims to produce students who are confident and articulate in arguing for a point of view, enthusiastic and analytical in reading, and fluid and precise in writing. Students are taught the basis of these skills early in their time here, and encouraged to hone them through engagement with increasingly challenging texts and tasks as they progress through the school.
Staff Names and Roles
- Mr C Laverty – Head of Department
- Miss A Hussain- Teacher of English
- Miss Z Hussain- Teacher of English
- Mrs S Long – Teacher of English
- Mrs Searles – Teacher of English and Assistant Head of Sixth Form
- Mr R Shotton – Teacher of English
Useful Websites to support your son’s learning
Opportunities outside of lessons
Theatre trips, Study Days and competitions will be announced to eligible students as they arise. The Department holds an annual Public Speaking Competition in the Spring Term of every year.