Psychology is the science of behaviour and experience. It is an expanding and challenging subject in the post 16 education sector. Universities increasingly see it as a valuable subject in both its own right and as a supporting subject.
The aim is to develop students as critical, scientific thinkers who are intellectually engaged with the world around them and well prepared for further study in any discipline at university level.
The school follows the AQA Specification. Here is a link to the AQA website- click through the subjects section to find Psychology.
Staff Names and Roles
- Miss S Carter – Subject Leader for Psychology
Useful Websites to support your son’s learning
- BBC Human body and mind: BBC Human body and mind
- British Psychological Society: British Psychological Society
- S-Cool: S-Cool
- The Student Room: The student Room
- Simply psychology: Simply Psychology
- Tutor2U Psycholog: Tutor2U
Opportunities outside of lessons
- Masterclasses: These take place at local universities. They are usually a lecture style session focusing on one aspect of psychology. Masterclasses have been attended by students at The University of Birmingham; Birmingham City University and Aston University.
- Revision Conferences
- Psychology and Pseudoscience Conference: Run by Cara Flanagan- an excellent day looking at some of the more unusual aspects of psychology
- Derren Brown: If he is touring!
- London Trip: Science museum and Freud Museum
- Psychological research conducted in school by local academic Psychologists
- Conferences run by eminent Psychologists