Welcome to German at Aston!
In Year 7, we cover lots of important linguistic basics, building the foundation for future learning in Years 8, 9, GCSE & beyond! We cover topics like, Me and My Family, My Free Time and Hobbies, School and Travel.
Learning a language however is not JUST about the linguistic side. It is vitally important to learn about the culture and traditions of German-speaking countries so we make sure that you have the opportunity to engage in some cultural activities such as:
• Watching German films or television programs (in German with English subtitles)
• Cultural projects / lessons at key points in the year (Christmas, New Year, Easter, etc)
• Learning about the geography of German-speaking nations
Formal assessment takes place twice a year, but there will be regular mini assessments in lessons too. Over the year, you will be assessed on 6 key skills:
- Reading in German
- Listening in German
- Writing in German
- Speaking in German
- Translation to English and German
- Vocabulary Learning
You will usually be set vocabulary learning as homework, with a small test the following week to check that you have done your homework properly. Vocabulary is so important in languages – it is the foundation of being able to understand and communicate in any language!
How you can prepare for starting German at Aston:
- Complete the Year 7 Induction German Challenge task! ☺ You will be very surprised at how much German you can already understand.
- Learn the numbers from 1-100 if you can! Use this link: German numbers
- Learn some basic greetings like hello, how are you, goodbye. Use this link: German greetings. You could also use Duolingo for some practice.