Silver 2020 Silver timescales:
- Volunteering section: 6 months
- Physical and Skills sections: One section for 6 months and the other section for 3 months.
- Applicants who have not completed their bronze award must undertake a further 6 months in either the Volunteering or the longer of the Physical or Skills sections.
- One activity 12 months one 6 months and one 3 months.
See www.dofe.org for more information.
Saturday and Sunday, 25 and 26 January 2020, from 10.00 am to 4.00 pm.
Training for the practice and qualifying expeditions On both days’ students will not need to wear school uniform but will need to make arrangements to be brought to, and collected from:
- Day one: At school The students will undertake camp craft training and route planning so must have food, drink, waterproofs, boots and rucksack
- Day two The students will undertake walk from Lichfield City rail station at 10.00am and ending at Shenstone Rail station by 16.00pm and so must have food, drink, waterproofs, boots and rucksack
Thursday 12th – Saturday 14th March 2020
Route planning at School
Monday 16th March from 1.55 - 5.45pm.
Silver Qualifying Expedition Friday 3rd April – Sunday 5th April 2020
Presentations on the aim of the expedition:
Silver presentation Thursday 1.50 pm 21st May 2020 week 2
Each Group will give a presentation on their expedition aim; all participants must attend the presentation for their group.
Attendance at all training sessions is essential. Non-attendance for reasons other than illness is likely to result in the student not being able to continue on the scheme.
Students must appreciate that when off-site they are representing the school and exemplary behaviour will be expected at all times. Students exhibiting inappropriate or unacceptable behaviour and/or whose actions result in damage to equipment will be required to meet any replacement costs and may not be allowed to continue on the scheme.
For both the practice & qualifying expeditions parents are responsible for:
- Ensuring their son is at the starting point at the agreed time and ensuring that their son is collected from the finishing point at the agreed time.
- Ensuring that their son is properly equipped (an equipment list will be issued at the Training weekend and is available on the school web site).
- Information of camp addresses will be posted on the school website under Student Life D of E prior to each expedition.
A Personal Equipment Order Hire Form is available on the school website.
The school will provide tents, stoves and fuel. All personal equipment is the responsibility of parents and students and an equipment list can be download from the school website. Personal equipment (rucksacks, sleeping bags, roll mats) can be hired or purchased from Big Strides Consulting Ltd. This must be ordered and paid for Via parent pay. Equipment will be given out at the start point. If you have ordered personal equipment this will also be given prior to the expedition in school.
If you wish your son to participate in the award please return the following documents to Mrs Concannon by Monday, 4th November 2019 using the student post box by the main school office.
- A completed participant enrolment form (attached)
- A payment for silver of £350.00 which can be paid in instalments, the method is through Parent Pay. Please note this will not appear on your Parent Pay until you return the enrolment form.
- Cheques will still be accepted (made payable to Academy Trust Bank Account ). Please write your son’s name & form on the back of the cheque. & “Duke of Edinburgh Silver Award”
No student will be prevented from participating in the award due to financial hardship. Parents who find it difficult to make a contribution should contact Mr Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org at the earliest opportunity. Please email L.Leah @keaston.bham.sch.uk if you are entitled to FSM or Albion Trust. Any other queries please email B.Concannon@keaston.bham.sch.uk.