Sixth form admissions
The school admits approximately 50 new students to the Sixth Form each September. We welcome applications from ambitious students from the Birmingham area and beyond. Financial assistance may be available for students currently studying at schools in the north-west area of Birmingham. Parents of external candidates wishing to enrol a student into the Sixth Form should read the information below. It is not necessary for parents of existing students currently studying at the school to apply formally for places in Year 12.
To achieve entry into the Sixth Form in September 2024, prospective entrants (both existing pupils and external candidates) must achieve a minimum of seven GCSE passes at grades 9-5, including at least grades 6 in English and Mathematics.
In order to study a subject at A-Level a student must have achieved at least a grade 7 at GCSE in that subject.
In order to study Further Mathematics, a student must have achieved at least a grade 9 in Mathematics at GCSE level.
In order to study Science, Mathematics and Computer Science, a student must have achieved 8, 7, 7 in GCSEs involving these subjects (for example to study Mathematics, Biology and Chemistry a student must have achieved an 8 in at least one of these subjects and 7’s in the others).
Further Mathematics is the fourth option for students on top of the entry requirements for studying 4 A-Level subjects (achieve 5 grade 8’s or above with grade 8 in at least 3 of the A-Level choices).
Pupils studying Physics must also study Mathematics.
Offers of places in the Sixth Form will be conditional on the achievement of these results and capacity on chosen courses.
Current students who do not meet the sixth form entry requirements are unlikely to be offered a place in the Sixth Form.
In the event of over-subscription, preference will be given to: “looked after or previously looked after children and children who are currently in receipt of Free School Meals (Pupil Premium) and then those who live nearest to the school (according to the straight-line distance between home and school)".
How to apply
The internal candidates will receive email communication on how to choose their A Level subjects after 9th of November 2023.
If you wish to apply for a place in our sixth form as an EXTERNAL candidate, please click on this “Expression of Interest” form (This form will become available after open evening on Monday 13th November) and complete it by midday on 26th January 2024. You will then be contacted with further information during the Spring and Summer term. Tours to the school may become possible during 2024 and you will be notified of these.
- On GCSE results day, an application form for entry to our Sixth Form will become available via the link on the top of this webpage. If your results meet the entry requirements, you can apply between 8am and 1 pm. Once your application has been submitted, we will carefully consider it.
- If you are successful in being shortlisted, the school will contact you via email or phone call after 3.00 pm on GCSE results day to notify you of an admissions meeting time where we will discuss your application further with you.
- Meetings will be scheduled to take place in school from 10 am onwards on the Friday after GCSE results day.
- You will be allowed to bring no more than ONE member of your family with you to the meeting.
- Do not arrive more than 5 minutes early for the meeting.
- You must bring a paper copy of your latest school report AND proof of your qualifications (GCSE results statement from your previous school) to the meeting. Unfortunately, places cannot be offered to applicants who do not bring these documents with them to the meeting.
We hope the information on the website will give you a good idea about life in our sixth form. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch via the school office.